Friday, October 10, 2008

October 10, 2008




You might be wondering if it's possible to take a 60-year old's antics climbing in the Sierras seriously, but consider the facts. In 1995, I was facing a severe case of Graves Disease as a woman who had been morbidly obese pretty much all her life. My endocrinologist threw me a lifeline and the rest was up to me. I'm about to receive brand new copies of a book that I've spent the last seven years writing. It is about how I lost almost 100 pounds (and eventually 100 1/2 pounds) and how I've kept it off for eleven years... and counting.

As I sit here typing tonight, after feeding the cat and dog their daily requirements (and those requirements look pretty good, actually), I'm wondering how I've managed to keep most of my lost weight off. It's been tough at times, but I've set myself up for success. Here are some of ways I've done this. It would be highly embarrassing to show up at the gym to train a client at a weight of 230 pounds. I received instruction from my dear friend, Dirk, on how to climb several years ago. If I showed up at a pre-ordained date to climb in, say, Yosemite at 235 pounds... well, I just wouldn't have shown up. I'd have traipsed out to our garden to eat worms. At any rate, the reason I'm starting this blog is to let you all know that I've been through the ringer regarding the fact that I've been a fat girl all my life... well, almost all my life. And I've managed to somehow turn it around. Throughout the year of 1997, I lost almost 90 pounds. Since then, I've either kept most of it off, or lost even more. I have been reading some incredibly inspiring blogs that exist in cyberspace, but the stories are as real as if the writers were talking to me in this room. I really get it. Keep on writing about yourselves, because it helps me (and others, I'm certain!). I have a book coming out in a few weeks that chronicles my "last journey down" this time. My various diet and exercise programs are detailed, but moreover, my journey that shows how I have kept the lost weight off take up more than half the book. I hope you enjoy the story. But most of all, I hope the tale can inspire those who have been searching for a solution to losing and preventing any weight gains ever again.

All My Best from a Food Junkie,
Miche

No comments: