Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Maintenance and the Art of Procrastination


This blogger has the art of procrastination down to a science. I changed the template, layout and colors of this blog and then read many new posts by all you inspiring writers out there. It’s really been helping me to stay “on” my plan this week, especially since I’ve been struggling with 15 stubborn pounds. I know that 15 pounds may not sound like a lot, and if this were 1997, it would sound ridiculous to me. But after menopause and eleven years of maintenance (Halloween was actually my 11th anniversary of keeping at least 77½ pounds off), the “glow” of losing that weight and looking (and feeling) so much better weakens in intensity just a wee bit. That is NOT to say that I ever want to return to where I was then. It’s just that the passion I felt for LIVING during those first couple of years after the weight loss diminishes a bit. Learning how to deal with the temptations and my own lifelong issues around food, month-in and month-out, year-in and year-out, is really what maintenance is all about for me.

As the years have accumulated, my ability to understand how to cope with living a different kind of life than I’ve ever managed before has improved. But... I’m human and am drawn to food like a barracuda to shine... still! It’s really quite incredible that almost nightly, I have to work with myself on the starchy carbs and sweets that still come calling. Often, I just leave the house and work out or, for the time being, working on a project with another personal trainer. By the time I get home, I’m exhausted enough to pass out. I hate fighting with myself! Wish I had more time, but gotta get going! I love to read your blogs and am enjoying the act of writing as well. It’s shaping up to be a gorgeous day and I’m about to get out into it (but I won't be going skydiving anytime soon)!

No comments: