Sunday, November 30, 2008

Exploring Open Space...

We’re still cleaning up, moving each piece of furniture back to its home again and picking up kids’ toys found under said furniture, from Thanksgiving 2008 that “keeps on giving.” Luckily, the food’s gone—either frozen or mostly, sent home with guests!

Hubs and I went on a fabu hike yesterday in one of our county’s “open space” districts. We are incredibly fortunate to have over 13,000 acres of land to hike in that will be preserved forever. There are over 1000 trails and fire roads that we can choose from—dogs are allowed, which is very cool, because Sam really needs to exercise as badly as we do! Another benefit to hiking this land has to do with the topography here. I can think of only one fire road that’s actually flat. The rest of the paths and trails move either up (often steeply) or down (great quad negatives!). While strenuous on certain routes, a good sweat is easily procured, and any hike over a couple of hours long is likely to incur good caloric deficits. Finally, the views are outstanding and the people and dogs we meet on the trail (far and few between) are warm and friendly.

We’re about to explore another area again today, as it is so unseasonably beautiful out. Methinks I can smell pine needles and autumn as I write!

Food consumption has been staggeringly low. I don’t know what’s going on, but it’s amazing how planning and food journaling contributes to healthier days. I sleep better too. Last night I konked out around 8 p.m. and didn’t waken until 6 a.m. What a little restraint on the “Kcals in” and a push in the “Kcals out” can do! Yahoo!

3 comments:

carla said...

I love that word.
staggeringly.

love how you used it.

ride the wave, embrace the stagger, and keep at it.

MizFit

Crabby McSlacker said...

I love Open Space!

Not just metaphorically, either--I grew up on the edge of one of those Marin County open spaces... the ridge between Fawn Dr. in San Anselmo and Whatever St in San Rafael--overlooking Terra Linda. (You can tell which side I lived on). Some of my family still lives there so it's a favorite ramble when I visit.

Don't know if that's one you've been on (the main Fire Road is pretty short), but it was my playground growing up and I was really lucky for that!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

How lucky you are to have such wonderful open spaces in which to roam! Good for you for using them!